Diving, snorkelling allowed at Redang, Kapas islands starting Sept 1

Terengganu’s iconic islands will finally be open for snorkelling and diving, starting Sept 1.

However, this is only for domestic tourists who have been fully vaccinated, as inter-state travel is still prohibited under the on-going National Recovery Plan.

State Tourism, Culture and Digital Technology Committee chairman Ariffin Deraman said the island resorts, like Pulau Redang and Pulau Kapas, had started operating since early this month, and were open to those who had completed their Covid-19 vaccination.

“But activities like snorkelling and diving were not allowed. As a result, many operators decided not to open,” Ariffin said.

“Beginning Sept 1, these activities will be allowed. However, tourists must follow the standard operating procedures (SOPs).”

Business owners had been reminded to adhere to public health protocols to prevent the transmission of the coronavirus.

Pulau Perhentian, however, remained closed to outsiders after several Covid-19 cases were detected there. Ariffin said the island would only open its doors, once it is safe to do so.

Meanwhile, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri, said last night that her ministry would focus on efforts to upgrade infrastructure in ecotourism destinations in preparation for the influx of returning tourists.

Here are Twentytwo13’s news highlights today.

PM IN SELF-QUARANTINE AFTER CLOSE CONTACT

Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob will observe self-quarantine beginning today after he was confirmed to have been in close contact with a Covid-19 patient.

The prime minister did not attend the swearing-in of his Cabinet ministers and deputy ministers at Istana Negara today.

According to a statement by the Prime Minister’s Office, Ismail Sabri will join the National Day celebrations in Putrajaya tomorrow, online.

He is also scheduled to address the nation tonight (9pm), in conjunction with Merdeka.

HEALTH MINISTRY, NSC TO MONITOR NATIONAL DAY CELEBRATIONS

The National Day celebrations in Putrajaya tomorrow morning, will be closely monitored by the Health Ministry and National Security Council, among others, to ensure it is in compliance with the standard operating procedures (SOPs).

Those involved in the event have been fully vaccinated and will observe physical distancing, and wear face masks, at all times.

The celebrations will be broadcast on local television stations, starting 7am.

COPS CRASH PRIVATE PARTY IN ISKANDAR PUTERI, 13 HELD

Police raided a private party at an apartment unit in Medini, Iskandar Puteri yesterday, and arrested 13 individuals, including a civil servant.

Those arrested in the 4am raid were aged between 17 and 27. Eleven tested positive for methamphetamines, while two others had previous criminal records for drug-related offences.

The case is being investigated under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act, 1952, and for violating standard operating procedures set by the National Security Council.

SAIFUDDIN RETURNS TO FAM – THIS TIME, AS GEN-SEC

Saifuddin Abu Bakar has been named as the FA of Malaysia’s general-secretary, replacing Stuart Ramalingam, who had been appointed Malaysia Football League chief executive officer.

It is a homecoming of sorts for Saifuddin as he once served as assistant general-secretary, from 2007 to 2009. Saifuddin enjoyed stints in Qatar and Oman between 2009 and 2019.

He starts work tomorrow.

JONG YEE KHIE BAGS MALAYSIA’S SECOND PARALYMPICS MEDAL

Weightlifter Jong Yee Khie earned Malaysia’s second medal at the Tokyo Paralympics after he clinched the silver in the men’s 107kg category.

Jong, 32, from Sarawak, lifted 237kg in his second attempt to play bridesmaid. Sodnompiljee Enkhbayar of Mongolia won the gold medal after lifting 245kg, en route to posting a new Paralympics record. The previous record of 238kg was set by Pavlos Mamalos of Greece, at the 2016 Rio edition.

Another Sarawakian weightlifter, Bonnie Bunyau Gustin, won the gold medal in the 72kg category on Saturday.

Tagged with: