Govt mulls new laws to better regulate online gambling

The government is drafting new laws to better regulate online gambling.

Deputy Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Zahidi Zainul Abidin said current laws were inadequate to deal with online gambling.

The other concern was the huge outflow of the ringgit due to the activity – evident during Premier League matches and major football, and sports tournaments.

Zahidi, in the Dewan Rakyat today, said the move would also enable the government to derive taxes from such activities.

His announcement came barely a day after Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor said local councils would not issue new business licences to lottery shops to ensure “Kedah was free from gambling”. However, existing gambling premises could continue with their operations in accordance with their licences.

Just over a decade ago, it was widely reported that tycoon Tan Sri Vincent Tan’s Ascot Sports Sdn Bhd had been granted a sports betting licence.

However, on June 25, 2010, then prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said the government would not issue sports betting licences due to the strong opposition from the people.

Following Najib’s announcement, Berjaya Corporation Bhd said the proposed acquisition of the 70 per cent stake in Ascot Sports was aborted.

Here are Twentytwo13’s news highlights today.

MP: JOB CREATION UNDER ‘JAMIN KERJA’ SHOULD BE SHARED BETWEEN PUBLIC, PRIVATE SECTORS

Under the RM6 billion ‘Jamin Kerja’ incentive, outlined in Budget 2022, the government plans to create 600,000 job opportunities.

However, Klang Member of Parliament Charles Santiago, said the responsibility should not be shouldered by the private sector alone.

“I can see some agreeing with the plan, but let’s not celebrate just yet, because in the proposal, the responsibility for creating jobs lies with the private sector,” said Santiago.

“This is a sticking point, as ‘Jamin Kerja’ operates on a shared principle between the state and private sector, with the largest share being absorbed by the employer.”

He said the state would provide a subsidy of 20 per cent of the workers’ remuneration for the first six months, and another 30 per cent for the following six months.

“Why would employers be interested in taking up the 80 and 70 per cent remuneration burden at a time of crisis, when the majority of employers are struggling to recover from tight cash flows, outstanding debts with banks, rental with landowners, and when they are way behind in their utility payments?”

He said the government could start by providing a subsidy amount of RM1,500 monthly, per worker, for a period of 12 months, regardless of the labour market status, age, ethnicity, or gender.

“The government can also provide skills training to job seekers before they start work,” he added.

NO NEW CHOLERA CASES DETECTED IN SELANGOR

The Selangor Health Department said that the 56-year-old local woman from the Petaling district, who suffered from cholera, had fully recovered.

The department added that there had not been any other cases thus far, apart from the Oct 21 case.

ABDULLAH BADAWI IN GOOD HEALTH

The office of Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has dismissed another rumour alleging that the former prime minister had passed away.

In a statement today, the office “strongly denies” the posting that was uploaded on Facebook, adding that Abdullah was in good health and was with his family.

“The office will take legal action against those who spread fake news,” the statement read.

HEALTH MINISTRY, AGENCIES TOLD TO PREPARE FOR SURGE IN COVID-19 CASES

Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said the infectivity rate (Rt) in Malaysia stood at 1.05.

In a tweet, he said the National Table Top Exercise was carried out over the past few days to evaluate the healthcare system’s capacity, and to prepare for a surge in cases.

He also told his ministry and other agencies to “game out worst-case scenarios and simulate crisis responses for any eventuality.”

Malaysia recorded 5,143 new Covid-19 cases today.

Melaka, ahead of the state elections this Saturday, had seen an increase in the number of admissions in hospitals in recent days.

MEDIA GROUPS SLAM PAS REPS FOR HOSTILE BEHAVIOUR AGAINST JOURNO

National Union of Journalists (NUJ) and Gerakan Media Merdeka (Geramm) have slammed the actions of Pas vice-president Idris Ahmad, and Deputy Human Resources Minister Datuk Awang Hashim, for being hostile towards a Free Malaysia Today journalist.

The Pas leaders became confrontational when Minderjeet Kaur asked questions related to the Kedah government’s decision to ban 4D outlets.

Awang insisted that the reporter asked her question in Bahasa Malaysia, while Idris asked the reporter if she could tolerate her husband being a gambler.

NUJ president Farah Marshita Abdul Patah said the union was distressed by the actions of the politicians against the journalist, adding it was the job of a media practitioner to ask questions.

Geramm, in a statement, said the actions by the pair were unacceptable.

Tagged with: