Jamal is coming home – in cuffs

Jamal Yunos

Guess who will be returning in handcuffs in time for Raya? Jamal Yunos!

After playing hide and seek from the cops since his “great escape” on May 25, the Sungai Besar Umno leader was finally arrested by Indonesian police.

This was confirmed by Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin in a statement this evening. Muhyiddin said he was informed of Jamal’s arrest at 6.15pm.

Muhyiddin’s statement regarding Jamal’s arrest.

Jamal, who has hogged the limelight for his ridiculous antics in the past, was finally hauled up by police after Pakatan Harapan won the May 9 elections.

Jamal was found missing from his ward at a private hospital in Ampang on May 25 when Shah Alam Court assistant registrar Rahasbiah Abdul Rahman came to grant him bail.

The 48-year-old had earlier claimed trial to committing public nuisance by breaking bottles containing alcoholic drinks with a hammer and causing disaster, danger and public nuisance in front of an exit gate of the Selangor State Secretariat building on Oct 5.

He was arrested on May 22 for possessing firearm without a license. Police are also investigating Jamal in connection with several other cases. He had lead the Red Shirts in organising protests to rallies by Bersih 2.0 and Pakatan Harapan supporters.

Police had issued an arrest warrant on June 1 after he escaped custody.

He had also caused several commotions in front of the Selangor State Secretariat Building last year which includes breaking some 100 beer bottles to protest a beer festival, brought 10 beds with pillows that read “Rumah Urut Selangorku” and an ice-cream box on his Harley Davidson with the words “DAP -Dapat Aiskrim Percuma” – in reference to massage centres that indulge in vice.

Jamal Yunos
Jamal while in custody in Indonesia.

While on the run, Jamal had sent WhatsApp messages to his supporters, saying accusations levelled against him and police reports made by Pakatan Harapan supporters against him prevented him from attending the Sungai Besar Umno delegates’ meeting on June 30 and to celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri with his family.

Efforts are being made to extradite him to Malaysia soon.