Magical day with record-breaking feats by illusionist K.Y. Lim and tower runner Soh Wai Ching

Two record-breaking feats were achieved by two Malaysians yesterday en route to placing the nation on the world map.

The first to be recognised for his feat by Guinness World Records was K.Y. Lim.

The illusionist set the record of the most disappearing canes illusion in one minute after magically turning 20 canes into cloth.

On the same day, tower runner Soh Wai Ching raced 1.295km at the Four Seasons Place in Kuala Lumpur in a bid to achieve the ‘Greatest Vertical Height Stair Climbing in One Hour’.

Soh is awaiting confirmation from Guinness World Records. The current record of 1.227km is held by Spaniard David Robles Tapia – achieved in Zaragoza, Spain, on Jan 20, 2019.

The World No 2 tower runner admitted it will be the fulfillment a lifelong dream if his name is inked in the Guinness World Records Book.

“Since young, I’ve always been fascinated with Guinness World Records. I used to read the books diligently,” said the 26-year-old.

“It will be a dream come true to see my name in this year’s edition. As many records are broken daily, not all are registered in the book,” he added.

While many in his position would have been jumping for joy, Soh is a tad disappointed.

“I thought I could have marked 1.3km. I did two weeks ago during the trial run and felt confident.

“But yesterday I failed to give my best. I know I can do better. I also suffered cramps … the first time since I started tower running. That slowed me down,” Soh said.

“It’s also not easy being the organiser and the runner. I have to thank my parents, family and friends for volunteering and helping make last night a successful event.

Soh has provided all videography evidence and statements from witnesses to Guinness World Records.

“I can’t wait for the official announcement. Till then, I’m just soaking it in with my parents and family. My parents are proud of me and they’ve been receiving a whole lot of congratulatory messages from relatives and friends.

“It’s a Malaysia Boleh feeling.”

He is, in fact, gunning for another record – to be the fastest man to run vertically to hit the one mile mark.

Soh’s friend Ryoji Watanabe achieved the record for the fastest vertical mile stair climbing (male) with a time of one hour six minutes 58 seconds last night. The Japanese did it at Tokyo Skytree, a broadcasting and observation tower in Sumida, Tokyo.

“My aim is to beat my friend Watanabe’s record.”

Here’s the round-up of The News Normal today.


Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today proposed that the government table a motion of confidence for Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

Speaking in the Dewan Rakyat, Zahid said the matter should be made a priority.

“Be it a motion of confidence or otherwise, the matter must be tested in the august House.

“If it cannot be done because of the existing standing orders, then adjustment must be made with government business given precedence,” he said.

He said elected representatives must reject any proposal for a proclamation of a nationwide emergency and even the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and Malay Rulers had rejected it.

He added a localised emergency for the Batu Sapi parliamentary constituency was accepted by the people which the King proclaimed yesterday proclaimed following a high number of Covid-19 cases.


The Communications and Multimedia Ministry says it is committed to roll out 5G technology by the end of 2022 or early 2023.

Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said the implementation would be with detailed planning and targets in line with the National Digital Network Plan.

He said implementation included availability in terms of connectivity, people’s readiness to receive the network, regulatory and industries’ preparedness.

“It is useless if we have 5G in some areas, when even 4G or others are not available in the rural and interior areas … there ought to be availability of access to avoid the digital divide,” Saifuddin said.

During a question and answer session in the Dewan Rakyat today, Saifuddin said the government expects 70 per cent of 5G deployment will be for the use of industries while the remaining 30 per cent will be among the public.


The sports industry has been battered and badly wounded by the Covid-19 pandemic. Sporting calendars were disrupted with world sports bodies forced to cancel or reschedule competitions, leaving athletes frustrated.

As the ‘to play or not to play’ debate continues, it is high time all parties join forces, make their voices heard, and find a workable solution instead of settling for the easy way out to get sports in Malaysia moving.