Muhyiddin lied, says Najib, as govt backpedals and agrees to debate Emergency ordinances in Sept

The Emergency ordinances will now be debated in Parliament in September.

In a statement released this afternoon, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the process to revoke the ordinances by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, as advised by the Cabinet on July 23, “could not be carried out.”

“As the Emergency ordinances ended on Aug 1, based on the Federal Constitution, the issue of revocation by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, no longer arises,” the statement read.

Muhyiddin’s statement drew flak, with former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak saying that the prime minister and the government had lied, when they told lawmakers last week, that the ordinances had been revoked.

In today’s statement, Muhyiddin said in line with the Agong’s decree, and as per Article 150(3) of the Federal Constitution, a motion to debate the Emergency ordinances can be tabled in the Parliamentary sitting in September.

“This motion will be discussed in the Cabinet meeting tomorrow and it is hoped it will resolve the polemic surrounding the revocation of the Emergency ordinances harmoniously and constitutionally,” the statement continued.

The statement came hours before the much-anticipated Umno Supreme Council meeting, which could see the party demanding its MPs pull out of the ruling Perikatan Nasional.

Najib referred to Muhyiddin’s four-page statement issued last Thursday, that said the government did not require the Agong’s consent in revoking the Emergency ordinances.

“Today, the statement says the revocation could not be carried out and has to be debated and approved in Parliament in September,” Najib posted on Facebook.

“This confirms that Prime Minister No. 8 (Muhyiddin) and (a) Perikatan Nasional minister had lied that they (the ordinances) had been revoked; and the four-page statement was a lie to the Agong and Malaysians.”

Najib wondered what would happen if the motion by the government did not get the majority in Parliament and could not be passed.

Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said tweeted Muhyiddin’s latest statement and wrote: “A day late and a dollar short!!!”

The Emergency ordinances saga, described as a constitutional crisis, saw the government insisting that it did not require the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s consent in revoking them. This, despite attempts to get the King to sign the revocation days before the Dewan Rakyat’s special sitting that began on July 26.

Istana Negara issued a statement on July 29, in which the Agong expressed his disappointment that the government did not discuss and debate the Emergency ordinances. The King also confirmed that he did not consent to the revocation of the ordinances.

Twentytwo13, had on Saturday, reported that the Malay rulers could possibly meet soon to discuss the latest impasse plaguing the country, as calls demanding for Muhyiddin’s resignation, heightened following the saga.

Here are Twentytwo13’s news highlights today.

SENATORS DEMAND GOVT END EXECUTIVE GRIP ON DEWAN NEGARA

Dewan Negara senators demanded that the government end its executive grip on Malaysia’s parliamentary system.

The 16 senators, in a statement earlier today, said the act of suspending Dewan Rakyat and Dewan Negara, despite the decree by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, showed disrespect to the King.

“We believe that the Senate, which serves as a check and balance for the legislative process in the country, should be free from the grip of the executives, who do not respect the systems of parliamentary democracy and the constitutional monarchy, as provided for in the Federal Constitution.”

Yesterday, MPs gathered at Dataran Merdeka, demanding for the resignation of Muhyiddin and the Cabinet, after the lawmakers were barred from entering Parliament. Parliament had been ordered closed after several Covid-19 cases were reported.

22% OF MALAYSIANS COMPLETE TWO DOSES OF COVID-19 VACCINE

The Health Ministry said 22 per cent of the Malaysian population have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine.

The ministry credited those involved in the national Covid-19 vaccination programme.

Malaysia recorded 17,105 new Covid-19 cases, as Selangor continued to top the list with 5,836 cases, today. Kuala Lumpur recorded 2,309 cases, while Johor had 1,275 cases.

EX-BERSIH 2.0 DEPUTY CHAIRMAN CHARGED WITH SHARING OFFENSIVE CONTENT RELATED TO RELIGION

Sarajun Hoda Abdul Hassan, 65, was charged at the Taiping Sessions Court with sharing offensive content related to Islam on Facebook in April, this year.

The former Bersih 2.0 deputy chairman pleaded not guilty.

He was accused of uploading offensive posts with the intention of offending others between 9am and 12.52pm on April 26.

TEEN FINED RM5K FOR REMOVING QUARANTINE BAND

A teenager who removed her Covid-19 home quarantine wrist band in Kamunting has been slapped with a RM5,000 compound.

The 17-year-old posted her act on social media and the video was widely shared.

The girl removed her red tag without permission from the Health Ministry as she wanted to go out. She even stopped by a friend’s house.

Tagged with: