New internet mapping app to help consumers make better choices when choosing telcos

Fed-up of constantly being let down by slow internet service?

A new internet mapping application is expected to be launched in Malaysia soon, and may just be the solution we need to solve our slow internet blues.

The initiative, which is part of the national digital infrastructure plan, will serve as a guide for users to choose telecommunication companies they think will provide the best internet services.

Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said the development of the application was the result of meetings held between the ministry and telcos in the country to discuss the national digital infrastructure plan, or Jalinan Digital Negara (JENDELA).

Speaking after the launch of the ‘Go-to-the-Ground with CyberSecurity Malaysia’ programme, Saifuddin said the application would enable users to identify which telcos provided the best internet access.

According to a poll last year by Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia (CFM), three in five Malaysians said they were not experiencing the internet speeds promised by their service providers.

The survey, which was conducted in July 2020, saw the participation of 209 respondents nationwide. Many had said they faced more than one problem related to the quality of their indoor network coverage. CFM said there were no significant improvements, despite the complaints lodged.

Malaysians are increasingly dependent on high internet speeds and connectivity, with many continuing to work, and learn from home, due to Covid-19.

Here are Twentytwo13‘s news highlights today.

‘NO SPECIAL PARLIAMENT SITTING NEXT WEEK, MUHYIDDIN NOT QUITTING TODAY’

Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah has shot down talks that there will be a special Parliament sitting next week, adding the motion of confidence as mentioned by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, will only be tabled on Sept 7.

Saifuddin said Dewan Rakyat secretary Nizam Mydin Bacha Mydin had sent out the notice to all MPs regarding the matter, and Sept 7 is the only date they have for now.

Meanwhile, Agriculture and Food Industries Minister Datuk Seri Ronald Kiandee dismissed speculation that Muhyiddin would be resigning today, claiming he had not heard of such a rumour.

Kiandee, who is also Bersatu vice-president, was among several Perikatan Nasional MPs who attended a two-hour meeting with Muhyiddin yesterday.

JOHOR SULTAN THREATENS TO DISSOLVE STATE ASSEMBLY IF POLITICIANS CONTINUE POWER STRUGGLE

The Sultan of Johor warned assemblymen that he would not hesitate to dissolve the state assembly if they continued to engage in a power struggle that threatened the state government.

“I will not entertain any political games by assemblymen and risk destabilising my state and government. If that occurs, then I will not hesitate to dissolve the state assembly,” said Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar at the opening of the 14th Johor State Assembly at the Sultan Ismail Building in Kota Iskandar, Iskandar Puteri, today.

“We don’t need politicians to represent the people if all they think about is themselves and not the interests and the welfare of the rakyat.”

He added there was no need to bring up unnecessary motions to the House during the state assembly sitting.

“Don’t be selfish. The rakyat are suffering, going hungry, losing their jobs and some are even fighting for their lives because of Covid-19.

“This is not the time to fight (for political power); rather, this is the time to unite and work together. Don’t look around to see what other politicians are up to, look at yourselves in the mirror instead,” said Sultan Iskandar.

After Sultan Iskandar’s speech, State Speaker Suhaizan Kayat announced the fourth session of the Johor state assembly – which began today – would be postponed to next Sunday (Aug 22) to review the standard operating procedures for Covid-19.

NEW RECORD HIGH FOR COVID-19 CASES TODAY, WITH MORE THAN 21K INFECTIONS

Malaysia hit a record high of 21,668 new positive Covid-19 cases today, bringing the total cumulative cases to 1,342,215.

Selangor continued to record the highest number, with 6,278 cases, followed by Kuala Lumpur (2,436), Kedah (2,143), Sabah (2,052), Johor (1,706), Penang (1,229) and Sarawak (1,216).

PENANG GOVT URGES NSC TO REVIEW DINE-IN RULES

The Penang state government urged the National Security Council to review the standard operating procedures for dine-ins at restaurants.

Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said many operators and their employees were not ready to open their shops to diners, as most of them have not been fully vaccinated.

Chow suggested that operators and their staff should receive at least one dose before they are allowed to accept dine-in customers.

On Aug 8, the government announced that those who had been fully vaccinated in states under Phase Two of the National Recovery Plan, could dine in at eateries.

IWK’S CONCESSION EXTENDED TO 2034

The government has decided to extend its concession agreement with Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) Sdn Bhd until Dec 31, 2034.

The current agreement, which was scheduled to end on March 31 next year, was extended for another 12 years, based on the company’s excellent performance in managing the country’s sewerage system and assets, comprising 7,000 sewage treatment plants, and sewage pipes, stretching 22,000km.

Environment and Water Minister Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man said the tariff for sewerage services to consumers had never been reviewed since IWK began operating in 1993.

He said based on a study, a review of sewerage service tariffs should be considered to balance the cost of maintaining old assets, the emergence of new environmental threats and an increase in electricity tariffs.

He added the average cost of maintenance of the sewerage system for linked premises was RM17 a month, compared to the current tariff of between RM2 and RM8 per month.