Oct 6 e-Census deadline if you get invitation code by Sept 30

Good news for Malaysians who want to avoid the face-to-face Population and Housing Census 2020!

You have until Oct 6 to participate in the e-Census provided you’ve completed the pre-registration process and received an invitation code by Sept 30.

Department of Statistics Malaysia Chief Statistician Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Uzir Mahidin said although there’s slightly over 24 hours to register, the system is working fine and can cope with last-minute applications.

“The people have until Sept 30 to pre-register. If they do not receive the invitation code by then, or they have not completed the e-Census by Oct 6, they will have to take part in the face-to-face session which begins Oct 7.

“So far only seven per cent or 2.2 million of the 32.7 million population have completed the e-Census since it began on July 7.

“We hope to get at least 10 per cent participation online before we send our enumerators to the ground between Oct 7 and 24,” Mohd Uzir told Twentytwo13.

He said although the department had earlier expected 30 per cent participation in the e-Census, they now believe it will only be 10 per cent.

“About 300,000 people are in the midst of filling up their e-Census forms but have yet to submit the questionnaire. But I believe they will do so by Oct 6.”

Mohd Uzir explained the face-to-face census will be carried out by 113,000 qualified enumerators who will be assigned to eight houses a day.

“The enumerators will be equipped with smartphones and tablets and details will be filled up on the devices by the enumerators.”

In light of Covid-19, Mohd Uzir said the department will conduct daily temperature checks on the enumerators before they begin work.

“Our enumerators will only visit green zones and not red zones or areas which have been placed under temporary enhanced movement control order (TEMCO).”

“They will also have to declare that they are healthy, wear face masks and use hand sanitisers when they visit homes.”

The enumerators are also not encouraged to enter homes or accept food and drinks. They must also adhere to the physical distancing rule at all times.

As for contact tracing, Mohd Uzir said the enumerators will be designated to specific localities. The public will also be allowed to ask for their identification and contact numbers.

“We also hope people will be able to complete the questionnaire in one session and not ask the enumerators to return.

“We hope the public will cooperate as we only want to gather data which is general in nature. Be honest and please do not play hide-and-seek when we come to your house,” he said.

The 2020 census is the sixth since the formation of Malaysia in 1963. According to the Census Act 1960, it is compulsory to participate and answer all questions on the census.

Here’s a round-up of The News Normal today.

HAJIJI SWORN IN AS SABAH CM, BUNG MOKHTAR AND MASIDI SWAP PORTFOLIOS AFTER 3 HOURS

Sabah Parti Pribumi Bersatu Sabah (Bersatu) chief Datuk Seri Hajiji Mohd Noor was sworn in as the state’s 16th Chief Minister.

While Hajiji’s swearing-in went smoothly, drama unfolded after it was learnt Lamag assemblyman Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin and Karanan assemblyman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun swapped portfolios.

Masidi tweeted: “What a day! Less than 3 hours after being appointed Works Minister, I am now Local Government and Housing Minister. I swapped job with Bung. Please don’t ask me the reasons. I will tell all after I retire.”

However, Hajiji later said Masidi will serve as second Finance Minister and Local Government and Housing Minister as he needed Masidi’s expertise to help revive Sabah’s economy and help address Covid-19.

The two other deputy chief ministers who were sworn in were Parti Solidariti Tanah Airku (STAR) president Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan and Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) vice-president Datuk Dr Joachim Gunsalam.

Jeffrey will also hold the Agriculture and Fisheries Minister portfolio while Joachim will helm the Trade and Industry Ministry.

PBS secretary-general Datuk Jahid Jahim was appointed Rural Development Minister.

M-LEAGUE TO GO ON FOR NOW DESPITE SABAH COVID-19 SURGE

The M-League will go on as scheduled despite a spike in Covid-19 cases, specifically in Sabah, in recent weeks.

FA of Malaysia president Datuk Hamidin Amin told Twentytwo13 the national body has been monitoring the situation closely and held talks with stakeholders, including the Health Ministry and Malaysia Football League.

HURDLER RAYZAM SHAH HOPES NEW SABAH GOVT WILL DEVELOP SPORTS FACILITIES

Hurdler and national record holder Rayzam Shah Wan Sofian hopes the new Sabah sports minister and government will develop sporting facilities in the state, specifically in Kota Kinabalu and Keningau.

The national athlete, who trains in Kota Kinabalu, hopes the new government will develop the state, especially sports, including having an upgraded gym in Kota Kinabalu which will be strictly for athletes.

Tagged with: