Penang’s iconic ferries get new lease on life as floating museum, restaurants

Penang’s iconic ferries are here to stay.

However, the five ferries will soon be repurposed and turned into special tourist ferries, floating restaurants and a floating museum.

Penang Port Commission chairman Datuk Tan Teik Cheng said the ferries would be handed over to companies that have been appointed to manage the new business operations.

“Two will be turned into special tourist ferries, two more will be transformed into floating restaurants and one will be converted into a floating museum,” said Tan in a statement.

Tan said the commission had received “many proposals” on March 19 and that they were evaluated by several PPC committee members.

The PPC board of directors met in mid-June and approved the qualified companies.

The companies would be given between three and six months to repair and upgrade the iconic ferries.

“PPC’s main mission now is to ensure that these five iconic ferries continue to feature in Penang waters,” added Tan.

“I believe these ferries will be important tourism products and attractive holiday destinations in Penang.”

The ferry services ceased operations on Dec 31, after nearly a century in service.

Since then, fast passenger ferries have been introduced as an interim before passenger-only water buses and vehicle transporters become operational by July next year.

These are Twentytwo13’s news highlights.

11 QUIZZED OVER CLAIMS MINISTER STOPPED AT ROADBLOCK

Police said 11 people have been quizzed following a social media posting that alleged Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister, Datuk Mohd Khairuddin Aman Razali, had been stopped at a roadblock.

Bukit Aman CID director, Comm Datuk Seri Abd Jalil Hassan, had in a statement today, said investigations were still being carried out to identify those responsible for uploading the post and to record the statements of the other individuals linked to the case.

He advised everyone not to speculate or spread rumours about the matter, without obtaining facts from official sources.

Last month, Terengganu police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Roslee Chik was quoted as saying that Khairuddin had been stopped at a roadblock in Perasing, Terengganu, on May 16.

Roslee added Khairuddin was “with another passenger at the time” and that the matter had been handed over to Bukit Aman CID’s Special Investigation Unit.

Acting Bukit Aman CID director Deputy Comm Datuk Dev Kumar MM Sree reportedly said police had opened an investigation paper on the incident.

COPS CRIPPLE GENG SAKAI

Police have detained 24 suspects, including the leader of ‘Geng Sakai’, and a 14-year-old.

Police also seized RM21,000, five luxury vehicles and drugs (syabu weighing 318.5g and heroin weighing 445.5g) worth RM9,000, in operations in the city, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Terengganu. The total amount of items seized is estimated at RM1.73 million.

Preliminary investigations showed the gang was involved in violent crimes and murder and had recently been actively involved in drug trafficking in the Klang Valley.

Police are still tracking down seven more gang members.

OVER SIX MILLION COVID-19 SHOTS GIVEN IN MALAYSIA

As of yesterday, over six million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine had been administered in Malaysia.

Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba said 1,666,757 people had been fully vaccinated (both doses) while 4,384,441 individuals had received the first dose, bringing the total doses administered to 6,051,198.

Selangor registered the highest number of those vaccinated, with 216,386 people, followed by Sarawak (188,289), Johor (176,080), Perak (154,422), and Kuala Lumpur (145,906).

Malaysia recorded 4,743 new Covid-19 cases today, bringing the total to 705,762. Selangor reported the most cases (1,566) followed by Kuala Lumpur (635), Negeri Sembilan (585) and Sarawak (507).

LAST MRT CRASH PATIENT DISCHARGED FROM HOSPITAL LAST NIGHT

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Wee Ka Siong said the final, severely injured victim of last month’s LRT train crash was allowed to return home from Hospital Kuala Lumpur last night.

The 31-year-old will continue her rehabilitation, check-ups, and follow-ups, Wee said.

Last Thursday, a 52-year-old man, who was also severely injured in the incident, was allowed to return home. He, too, is receiving rehabilitative treatment.

Both victims suffered severe head injuries. Wee added he communicated with the families of the four passengers who were severely injured in the May 24 mishap.

He hoped the victims would recover quickly. Wee also paid tribute to the medical personnel at the hospital, calling them “unsung heroes”.

GOVT SHOULDN’T USE ABSOLUTE NUMBERS AS BAROMETER TO DECIDE COVID-19 POLICY DECISIONS

To evaluate the gravity and seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic, the authorities use the number of daily new cases as an indicator. The majority of the rakyat rely on this single figure as a basis to gauge if the situation is improving or worsening.

Unfortunately, this absolute figure is not accurate as it does not give the true picture, or reflect the reality of what’s happening on the ground. In short, it does not tell the full story, said former ranking government official Dr Pola Singh.

CLOSE TO 500 MUSICIANS GIVEN LIFELINE THROUGH CENDANA’S INITIATIVE

The arts and music scene has been badly hit by the Covid-19 pandemic.

However, Bandar Aktiviti Seni Kuala Lumpur (BASKL) is eager to play an active role by providing artists and musicians hope and a platform to express themselves.

An online space created by the Cultural Economy Development Agency, BASKL’s website has been ‘live’ since mid-May and was launched last night. It coincided with World Music Day, which was celebrated yesterday.

Organised by Cendana and Musicians for Musicians Malaysia (MFM), musicians will perform six days a week. The performances will be streamed via the website over a period of six months.

Cendana will support MFM in terms of funding to cover the cost to pay the musicians and to administer and execute the platform.

Tagged with: