Tourism Ministry told to get detailed green zone travel plan going

The Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry has made several recommendations in a bid to reignite the industry, which includes travelling between green zones as most states in the nation continue to observe the Conditional Movement Control Order.

Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the ministry had suggested this during the National Security Council (NSC) meeting and it was decided that the proposal be fine tuned to consider all aspects.

He was responding to a question about those in Langkawi, being a green zone, hoping that the CMCO rules be relaxed to encourage more people to visit iconic locations on the Kedah island.

“The Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry made several recommendations today. They include movements between green districts and green states,” Ismail Sabri said during his daily press briefing.

“One of the suggestions was to allow someone based in Sabak Bernam which is a green zone to travel to another green zone like Langkawi.

“The other suggestion was to allow travel between green states.”

For the record, only Perlis, Kelantan and Pahang are not placed under the CMCO which is scheduled to end on Dec 6.

However, many believe the CMCO will be extended till end-December given the surge in Covid-19 cases in recent weeks.

“But we must discuss the details. For example, how would someone from Sabak Bernam go to Langkawi (as the whole of Selangor is under CMCO)?
“How would we know that the person is really from Sabak Bernam and not from Klang?”

He added these were among the issues raised and that the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry, together with the Health Ministry, Transport Ministry and NSC have been told to come up with detailed suggestions so that a decision can be made.

“Let’s wait for the CMCO to end. If not (if extended), then perhaps NSC may accpet the proposal by the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry.”

Here’s the round-up of The News Normal today.

32 ‘MISSING’ MEDAN 88 RESIDENTS RETURN FOR COVID-19 SCREENING

Thirty-two of the 400 residents of Medan 88 who didn’t return home after the area was placed under Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) surrendered to the authorities over the past few days for Covid-19 screening.

The 24 male and eight female residents comprise 13 Malaysians, nine Indonesians, seven Thais and one each from Myanmar, India and Nepal.

The 400 residents didn’t return home after learning the area had been placed under EMCO from Nov 12-25.

EMCO AT TOP GLOVE WORKERS DORM

An Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be enforced at Top Glove workers’ dormitory in Klang beginning tomorrow until Nov 30.

Ismail Sabri said the decision was made after 215 Covid-19 cases were reported in the area.

A total of 13,190 workers and 1,200 residents are affected.

Ismail Sabri said the EMCO will enable Covid-19 screening on those in the area.

NORTH-SOUTH EXPRESSWAY SURAU REOPEN

All prayer rooms on the North-South Expressway, including in Negeri Sembilan, have been reopened.

Users are advised to follow standard operating procedures when using the facilities.

In a statement, PLUS Malaysia Bhd said the public should bring their prayer attire such as telekung and prayer mats as the items are not provided in the surau for the time being.

Markers have also been placed in the surau, including at the ablution area, to ensure physical distancing.

AS BUDGET 2021 FOCUSES ON B40, HISTORY SHOWS MARKET FAILURES ARE FIXED BY TAXPAYERS

Designed to cushion the impact of Covid-19, Budget 2021 has allotted a substantive sum from the public purse to improve the welfare of the people and to kickstart the floundering economy, battered and brought to its knees by the pandemic, writes Assoc Prof Dr Azeem Fazwan Ahmad Farouk.

Tagged with: