Tun Hanif Omar’s son: Family denies asking for change in final resting place for former IGP

The son of former Inspector-General of Police Tun Mohammed Hanif Omar, has issued a chronology of events leading up to his father’s burial, who passed away on April 20, following allegations that the location of the grave had been changed from the Heroes’ Mausoleum at the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur, to the Bukit Kiara Muslim Cemetery, 13km away from the city centre, at the family’s request.

Responding to an article – ‘Lokasi pengebumian Allahyarham Tun Hanif Omar diubah ke Bukit Kiara’ – published by a portal on the same day, Capt (Rtd) Abdul Rahmat Omar said his family categorically denies the statement that the “change in location (from the Heroes’ Mausoleum to Bukit Kiara) was made at the family’s request.”

Abdul Rahmat, in a statement this afternoon, went on to provide a chronology of what transpired on April 20.

3.16am: I issued the first statement informing of Allahyarham’s passing.

6.22am: I informed that his remains would be at home until 10am to allow family members and friends to visit. His remains would then be brought to Masjid Al-Ikhlas in Section 13, Shah Alam (Selangor) to be bathed and prepared for prayers and the funeral. No burial information could be determined, pending feedback from the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) secretariat and the forces’ welfare unit.

8.40am: I issued the final information that after prayers at Masjid Al-Ikhlas, the remains would be taken to Masjid PDRM in Bukit Aman (Kuala Lumpur) for the last respects and for prayers, before heading to Bukit Kiara.

“At about 9.45am, I was informed by PDRM to consider bringing my father’s remains straight to Masjid Negara for all funeral arrangements, until the burial at the Heroes’ Mausoleum,” said Abdul Rahmat.

“After discussing with my mother, we agreed. This was the last information and communication regarding the burial, up until the Imam of Masjid Negara announced that my father would be buried at Bukit Kiara.

“There was no discussion between (PDRM’s) protocol unit and the family, especially with me, as the heir and representative of the family.

“This statement is being made as there have been talks that our family had requested for a change (in the burial venue), and that certain quarters had made presumptions that were political in nature, and unhealthy.”

Born in Teluk Intan, Perak, Hanif was the Melaka police chief in 1970 and then, the Selangor police chief in 1971. He was made deputy Inspector-General of Police on Feb 1, 1973.

Hanif was appointed Malaysia’s fourth IGP on June 8, 1974, at the age of 35. He was the nation’s top cop for 20 years until his retirement on Jan 15, 1994. Hanif remains the youngest, and longest-serving IGP to date.

Tagged with: