With over 5,000 Covid-19 cases today and five days to go, total lockdown likely to continue

Malaysia recorded 5,244 new Covid-19 cases today – raising the possibility that the total lockdown imposed three weeks ago will be extended, yet again.

The lockdown took effect on June 1, following the spike in Covid-19 cases, but the number of cases had not dropped below 4,000 throughout the period, with only five more days to go before the June 28 deadline.

Selangor reported the highest number of cases today (2,001) followed by Negeri Sembilan (677), Sarawak (577) and Kuala Lumpur (531).

The country, to date, had registered 711,006 Covid-19 cases, even as efforts were being ramped up to vaccinate more people.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, had yesterday, said the government would look at the number of Covid-19 cases and intervention measures, among others, before deciding if Malaysia is ready for the second phase of the National Recovery Plan, which he had recently announced.

Muhyiddin said if the number of daily cases went down, then Malaysia would move on to the second phase. As such, he said the government would evaluate the situation over the next two to three days before deciding on the next course of action.

The transition into Phase Two would take place if the Covid-19 cases dropped below 4,000, the use of intensive care units (ICUs) in public hospitals is no longer at a critical level, and if 10 per cent of those in Malaysia were fully vaccinated.

National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme coordinating minister Khairy Jamaluddin had, two days ago, said that 10 per cent of the population would receive both doses of the Covid-19 vaccinations by the middle of next month.

As of yesterday, 6.3 million people had been vaccinated, with 1.7 million fully vaccinated. The government needs to fully vaccinate 3.2 million people to hit the 10 per cent target.

These are Twentytwo13’s news highlights.

JOHOR SULTAN DISAPPOINTED COVID-19 CRISIS YET TO BE RESOLVED, CONSENTS TO STATE ASSEMBLY TO CONVENE ON AUG 12

The Sultan of Johor has consented for the Johor State Legislative Assembly to convene on Aug 12.

Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar has agreed to grace the opening of the assembly sitting in Kota Iskandar.

He also expressed his disappointment that the Covid-19 crisis in the country had yet to be resolved.

“I feel very sad to see my people living in distress and suffering from fear and anxiety right now,” he said in a statement uploaded on his official Facebook page.

“I am also disappointed because, until today, the Covid-19 crisis has yet to be resolved.”

The Sultan, had earlier today, granted an audience to Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Hasni Mohammad, and the state health department director, Datuk Dr Aman Rabu.

SEVEN NABBED FOR PARTYING IN SHAH ALAM

Police arrested seven individuals, including a woman, who had allegedly held a birthday celebration at a luxury condominium in Section 7, Shah Alam yesterday.

Shah Alam district police chief ACP Baharudin Mat Taib said five of the seven– aged between 31 and 37 – tested positive for amphetamine and methamphetamine.

Cops also seized five packets, believed to contain syabu, weighing 4.42g, and one packet of yaba pills, weighing 0.72g.

The seven were each slapped with a compound of RM4,000 as they had attended a gathering while the country was in a total lockdown. Social activities and gatherings are banned during this period.

The suspects have been remanded for four days, starting yesterday, for further investigations.

LAWYERS: MALAYSIAN BAR, AGC, JUDICIARY, AUTHORITIES SHOULD ACT ON ‘CASE FIXING ALLEGATIONS’

Senior lawyers have called for the Malaysian Bar and the authorities to act on allegations of “case fixing”, adding that public confidence in the legal profession must be preserved.

They added this would be the best time for the Malaysian Bar, Attorney-General’s Chambers and the judiciary to come together and discuss ways to solve the problem.

They were commenting on Twentytwo13’s article – Malaysian Bar must probe allegations of ‘case fixing’, restore public confidence in legal profession – published on Monday.

TTDI RESIDENTS CONTINUE TRADITION OF HELPING LOCAL COMMUNITY IN NEED

In times of adversity, the human spirit knows no bounds. It is heartening to see local communities coming together to help those in need.

Taman Tun Dr Ismail residents’ association, had on Monday, channelled aid to residents in Sungai Penchala, after parts of the area was placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order on June 10.

Its residents’ association chairman, Abdul Hafiz Abu Bakar, said the decision to help those in Sungai Penchala came after they learnt that the residents there were having difficulty in getting food, and other supplies.

HIGH JUMPER SLAPPED WITH SHOW CAUSE LETTER AFTER FACEBOOK POSTING

The Malaysia Athletics Federation (MAF) issued Nauraj Singh a show cause letter after the high jumper commented in a Facebook posting that the national body had done nothing to help its athletes and that its “unknowledgable (sic) management (was) busy deciding which team manager to send to Tokyo (Olympics)”.

MAF said that it would not tolerate such “unscrupulous and unethical statements” by the national athlete, who is currently based in Germany.

“Your statement sullies the good name of the federation and the management, and also erodes the public’s confidence in them as those uphold the standard and welfare of the athletes. We will do the necessary to defend the dignity and integrity of our Federation. We trust that you will take note of our concerns and be guided accordingly,” read the show cause letter, dated June 21.

Nauraj, the national record holder of 2.30m set in 2017, has 14 days to respond to the letter.

He recently made headlines after recording 2.27m – his best jump of the season – to win the Hungarian Grand Prix Series Tatabanya on June 6. The Germany-based athlete claimed his second gold medal on June 15 after recording a 2.22m jump at the Kladno Hází A Kladenské Memoriály in the Czech Republic.

KELANTAN LOSES ITALIAN GOALKEEPER COACH DUE TO ‘FAMILY MATTERS’

Kelantan FC goalkeeper coach Riccardo Mattioli resigned, citing matters concerning his family in Italy and his mother’s health problems.

Mattioli had spent six months with the East Coast outfit and had been credited with building the team’s goalkeepers – Faridzuen Kamaruddin, Nik Amin Ahmad, Farizal Harun and Asfa Abidin.

“His presence with the team this season has had a positive impact on the goalkeepers who showed outstanding performance in every match,” Kelantan FC said in a statement posted on its social media page.

Mattioli, 27, was hired alongside Marco Ragini, who is the head coach of Kelantan FC this season.