With the Manny Pacquiao-Lucas Matthysse fight just five days away, the frenzy finally begins.
However, several questions remain unanswered as there has been hardly any build-up to the fight since the April 15 press conference in Kuala Lumpur.
Here are some questions begging to be answered:
1) Why was Kuala Lumpur chosen as the venue for the fight?
2) If the idea was to promote Kuala Lumpur to the world, why aren’t the organisers working with Tourism Malaysia and other relevant stakeholders?
3) There seems to be lack of promotional activities in Kuala Lumpur. Why?
4) Will RTM be broadcasting the bout live? And is it true that the broadcasting rights to air the match is US$300,000?
5) Why is the fight being held on the same day as the World Cup final – as football will naturally dominate conversations and be splashed all over the news the next day?
Why are we asking these questions? Because we are journalists.
Meanwhile, Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte will be among the VIPs watching the two boxers in action on July 15 at the Axiata Arena in Bukit Jalil.
Philippines Ambassador to Malaysia Charles Jose told ABS-CBN this morning that Duterte wants to meet with Prime Minister (Tun Dr) Mahathir (Mohamad) after the fight.
However, the Philippines Embassy has yet to receive information regarding Duterte’s trip to Malaysia, a spokesperson said.
To Pacquiao and Duterte, here’s a warm selamat datang from all of us at Twentytwo13.