Hope remains the keyword for Sepang International Circuit as major motorsports events have been forced to apply the brakes yet again due to the latest Movement Control Order (MCO) which started yesterday.
While the industry was already battered after the first MCO in March last year, SIC chief executive officer Azhan Shafriman Hanif is hopeful the circuit operator will manage and sustain its operations during these trying times.
SIC is also keen to continue its plan to create a sports bubble once the MCO is relaxed.
“It’s not only SIC. Everyone is hit hard by the pandemic,” Shafriman said during a meet-the-press session online this afternoon.
“As for cash flow, we are still managing. We have implemented cost-cutting measures. As mentioned before, we are not laying off any staff and are looking at operational excellence.
“Hopefully we can get out of this situation soon.”
The latest round of MCO is to end on Jan 26 but many anticipate an extension to after Chinese New Year next month.
SIC yesterday announced the cancellation of the MotoGP Sepang Official Test and the Shakedown Test from Feb 12-21. Other events affected by the MCO are the track day activities and Round 2 of Malaysia Superbike Championship (Jan 20-22).
Asked about a sports bubble in SIC once the MCO is called off, Shafriman said: “We have been planning the sports bubble concept since last year as we are quite strategic with our location. SIC is near KL International Airport and there’s a hotel nearby. So movement will be restricted.
“In fact, that was the plan for the MotoGP winter test.
“Once we are allowed to host events, we will push for the sports bubble approach,” he added.