Love Is Not Tourism Malaysia has submitted a petition and supporting documents to the Prime Minister’s Office asking for consideration of a “sweetheart visa” to reunite families who have not been able to see each other due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Sweetheart visas” are common in European countries as a means to allow husbands, wives and other loved ones to visit each other despite a strict travel ban.
Khanusha Shereen Neesha and Elaine Sim also met with Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri on Monday and the minister had expressed her support for their campaign, although she did acknowledge it was outside her purview.
“It was nice meeting her. She was sympathetic to our cause,” said Khanusha.
“She did concede there is plenty of red tape involved but would try to to bring the matter up to the relevant authorities.”
Khanusha also confirmed she handed over documents as well as a printed copy of the group’s online petition which had garnered nearly 11,000 signatories to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
“I passed the documents to an officer in PMO and also submitted copies of them online,” said Khanusha, who has not seen her Polish fiancee since returning to Malaysia earlier this year.
Among the requests in the group’s petition are:
- Allowing Malaysians or foreign residents to leave the country to visit their spouse and (young) children abroad.
- Allowing spouses and (young) children of Malaysians or foreign residents in Malaysia to enter Malaysia even if they don’t have a residence permit.
- Allowing unmarried couples to meet as long as they provide proof they are in a durable relationship.
All these, provided they comply with all safety measures, including quarantine.
Here’s the round-up of The News Normal today.
COVID-19 PATIENTS NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said those who test positive for Covid-19 are forbidden from voting in the Sabah polls on Saturday.
However, those under quarantine would be allowed to vote on condition they obtain permission from the District Health Department and will only be allowed to vote in an area designated by the Election Commission.
Those returning to other states after casting votes in Sabah need not be quarantined for 14 days but those with symptoms will have to undergo a swab test. Ismail Sabri also encouraged those without symptoms to undergo the swab test.
Meanwhile, the National Security Council has also agreed to allow sports centres to operate until 2am.
Today 82 new Covid-19 cases were reported. Seventy-two were local cases and 10 imported.
SABAH ELECTION A THEATRICAL FARCE?
The Sabah election brings to the fore the good, the bad and the ugly.
The whole election scenario is like a comedy of errors to beguile the docile and even gullible electorate writes Mohamed Ghouse Nasuruddin, an honorary fellow at the Centre for Policy Research and International Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
WORKS MINISTRY WAITING FOR REPORT ON SUKE INCIDENT
Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof has instructed the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) and the Occupational Safety and Health Department (DOSH) to look into fallen concrete slab accident which wrecked a car plying the Middle Ring Road 2 on Saturday.
He is awaiting their report to see how the incident happened and what could have prevented it.
“We are looking at the design aspect, monitoring and supervision, the role of independent checking engineers, and the safety, health, and traffic management perspectives,” he told a press conference after meeting those in the construction industry today.
BAIL FOR ‘SUNGAI GONG QUINTET’
The five men charged in relation to the Sungai Gong pollution which led to water cuts affecting millions in the Klang Valley were released on bail today.
Judicial Commissioner Datuk Norsharidah Awang allowed brothers Yip Kok Wai, 53, Yip Kok Mun, 58, Yip Kok Kun, 50, and Yip Kok Weng, 60, who were the company directors, and Ho Voon Leong, 59, the workshop manager, RM400,000 bail each.
The decision by Norsharidah comes following a review application by the four brothers after the Selayang Sessions Court had denied them bail on Sept 15.
The brothers, who are directors of Yip Chee Seng and Sons Sdn Bhd, had previously claimed trial in the Selayang Sessions Court to two charges of polluting Sungai Gong in Rawang on Sept 3 which caused water disruption to 1.2 million consumers in the Klang Valley.
For the second charge, all five men were accused of committing mischief by causing hazardous waste from the factory to flow into Sungai Gong without a licence.