Good news for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers as they can now safely register for Covid-19 vaccines.
Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Khairy Jamaluddin revealed today the MySejahtera application had been updated so women can enter the month and year of delivery, or breastfeeding status.
The AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines are not recommended for pregnant women, while data for breastfeeding mothers is limited.
They are recommended to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine but didn’t have the option to inform the authorities about their condition.
Separately, Khairy said 18 per cent of the population would benefit from the 12 million doses of the Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine.
Yesterday, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said it had validated the Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use, giving countries, funders, procuring agencies and communities the assurance that it meets international standards for safety, efficacy and manufacturing.
Meanwhile, the Special Committee on Covid-19 Vaccine Supply (JKJAV) said more than 3.1 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccines – the first and second doses – have been administered, as of yesterday.
Of these, 1,104,863 individuals have received both doses, while 2,002,345 have had their first shots.
Malaysia aims to achieve herd immunity by inoculating 80 per cent of its population, or 26.7 million people.
Malaysia recorded 7,703 new Covid-19 cases today, bringing the total to 587,165.
Here’s the news round-up today.
TIME TO DRAW LINE IN THE SAND, CHINA’S LATEST INCURSION A CLEAR ESCALATION
If there’s anything the recent incursion by the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) has taught us, it is that ‘Big Brother’ diplomacy does not work.
It also demonstrates that the political will to deal decisively with this blatant disregard for Malaysia’s sovereignty – a nation China calls a ‘friend’ – is dangerously missing.
China’s intrusion into Malaysian territory has happened 89 times from 2016 to 2019. Malaysia needs to show that it will stand up for itself. Appeasement will never work.
TOK MAT TO DONATE SIX MONTHS SALARY, ALLOWANCES TO HELP RANTAU CONSTITUENTS
Rantau assemblyman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan has pledged to donate his next six months’ salary and allowances to help his constituents affected by Covid-19.
The Umno deputy president said he would write to the Negeri Sembilan protocol office and ask for his salary and allowances to be credited into another account.
The former Negeri Sembilan menteri besar added his service centre in Rantau is still open to help those in need.
NAJIB’S 1MDB TRIAL TO RESUME ON JUNE 21
Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) trial at the Kuala Lumpur High Court was postponed to June 21 due to the full Movement Control Order.
Najib, 67, faces four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3 billion from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.
Najib’s counsel, Wan Aizuddin Wan Mohammed, was to cross-examine the 10th prosecution witness, Mohd Hazem Abdul Rahman, the former chief executive officer of 1MDB, before trial was adjourned.
ANWAR SLAMS GOVERNMENT OVER LETTERS FOR MEDIA
Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim wants to know why the government made a U-turn by asking media personnel to get a letter from the International Trade and Industry Ministry (MITI) to work during the full Movement Control Order.
The government had earlier announced that as the media was an essential service, they only needed to secure their approval letters from the Communications and Multimedia Ministry (KKMM).
“I was informed by my media friends that previously, they were told to get approval from KKMM to operate, but now they are asked to apply from MITI,” he wrote on Twitter.
“What is the justification for complicating their business with various registrations? Shouldn’t it suffice to register with KKMM?”
Many media organisations could not access the MITI website as it has been down since Monday due to high traffic flow.
ENTERPRISING FORM 6 STUDENT EARNS EXTRA INCOME SELLING GOLDEN SWEET POTATO BALLS DURING LOCKDOWN
With schools closed and with nowhere to go, 19-year-old student, Leng Giat Yu decided to earn some extra income for her family.
The Form Six student, had since Friday, started working at a food truck selling golden sweet potato balls at Section 14, Petaling Jaya.