‘Malaysia must condemn Israeli atrocities against Palestinians in Rafah’

Malaysia’s Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has been urged to convene an emergency Parliamentary sitting to condemn Israeli atrocities against Palestinians in Rafah.

Former Klang MP Charles Santiago said Anwar must also demand that United Nations member states, and the United Nations Security Council, call for an immediate ceasefire, stop arms sales to Israel, and urge them to enforce the International Criminal Court’s arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, through Interpol.

“Images of mutilated Palestinian babies in so-called safe spaces are a permanent scar on our humanity. It’s beyond horrific. The US-backed Israeli slaughter of Palestinians must stop,” said Santiago, who is also Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights chair.

“We, you, me, and institutions, need to put pressure on the US and Israel to stop the massacre. Or we will have blood on our hands,” he said.

Santiago said a strong message from the Malaysian Parliament could lead to more Parliaments in Southeast Asia, and the global South, to follow suit.

“Students, citizens, school children, workers, global leaders, European Parliamentarians, have stepped up. It’s time for Southeast Asian MPs to do so, too. Malaysia could lead the process,” he said.

The Rafah offensive, which is in its third week, saw global condemnation after an Israeli attack on Sunday set off a blaze in a tent camp in the western district of the city, killing at least 45 people.

Reuters reported that global leaders had voiced outrage at the targeting of a designated humanitarian zone in Rafah, where families uprooted by the fighting elsewhere had sought shelter. They also called for the implementation of the International Court of Justice’s ruling last week, for Israel to halt its military offensive in Rafah.

At least 36,096 Palestinians have been killed, and 81,136 injured since Oct 7, following Israel’s war on Gaza.

Tagged with: