Another flooding – this time the tracks at Perak Stadium

The flooding woes in stadiums in Malaysia continue.

This time, the tracks at the Perak Stadium in Ipoh were under water for an hour following a downpour yesterday, resulting in events on the first day of the Perak Open being delayed.

The latest episode comes exactly a week after the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur, came under scrutiny during the Asian Football Confederation Asian Cup qualifier between Bahrain and Malaysia on June 11 that took place on a rain-soaked pitch.

However, unlike the Bukit Jalil fiasco, no dustpans and cardboards were used to remove the stagnant water at the Perak Stadium.

One person who was unimpressed with the incident in Ipoh is Malaysia Olympian Association president, Noraseela Khalid.

“There was heavy rain, and the event had to be stopped. The rain caused the tracks to be flooded. Even after the rain stopped and the sun came out, water was still on the tracks,” said Noraseela, a former national hurdler who competed at the 2012 London Olympics.

“It took about an hour for the water to recede, and for events to continue. It was a massive setback that caused delays, something which shouldn’t have happened. I pity the athletes.

“I believe something’s not right with the stadium’s drainage system that caused water to remain on the tracks for such a long time.”

“The (football) field is so nice, but the tracks … there’s moss on it. It’s the opposite of the (scenario seen at the) National Stadium (in Bukit Jalil).

Noraseela also took issue with the organisation of the two-day Perak Open. The event is organised by the Perak Athletics Association.

“The organiser seems to be happy that the event has attracted a large number of participants, but what this also means is that events are being delayed. This delay is in addition to the weather situation in Ipoh.

“It’s great that athletics meets are back, but they need to be properly organised, and start on time, as per the schedule in order for the athletes to excel.”

Last month, Noraseela took to task the management of the Johor Open athletics championship that attracted some 1,200 participants.

Events at the Mt Austin Stadium in Johor Bahru were delayed – due to the “overwhelming response” – forcing athletes to compete under the scorching sun.