A time-out has been called in the land dispute involving the Terengganu government and the Federal Land Development Authority (Felda).
Felda, in a statement this afternoon, said it “deeply appreciates” Terengganu’s decision to extend the remediation period until Jan 7. It added that the move allowed its subsidiary, FGV Holdings Bhd, to resume plantation operations today, as agreed.
“This development offers great relief to settlers who, over the past few weeks, have faced uncertainty regarding their income, their families’ future, and their livelihood. From the outset, our priority has been to ensure the welfare, economic security, and emotional wellbeing of the settlers, particularly the anak jati Terengganu (native-born residents),” the statement read.
“Felda and FGV can now proceed with normal operations and refocus on increasing output, strengthening settler incomes, and supporting community development within the land schemes. This certainty not only restores confidence among settlers and workers, but also ensures continued stability within the local economic ecosystem.”
Earlier, the Terengganu government issued warning notices involving about 15,000ha of land across 10 plantation lots owned by Felda and FGV. It claimed that no land premiums, taxes, or profit-sharing had been paid to the state for more than 40 years. The notices, which cited unlawful occupation and trespass, were issued on Nov 3, Dec 1, and Dec 2 for plantation lots in Besut, Setiu, Dungun, Hulu Terengganu, Marang, and Kemaman.
Felda and FGV said on Dec 2 that they were conducting a comprehensive review of all documents related to the state government’s notices. On Dec 5, Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said Putrajaya had resolved all financial obligations involving the Felda and FGV plantation lots in the Pas-led state.
Following a meeting between the state government and Felda’s top management, Terengganu yesterday agreed to extend the remediation period.
It said discussions would continue to finalise the agreement’s terms and conditions, and that FGV had been allowed to resume operations at all its plantations in Terengganu with immediate effect.