Badminton Asia Championships to go on, after all

The Badminton Asia Championships 2023 will go on as scheduled, according to Badminton Asia’s tweet this afternoon (2.33pm).

The event, scheduled from April 25-30 in Dubai, was earlier said to be in limbo.

On March 27, Badminton World Federation council member Datuk Kenny Goh, said the event was rumoured to have been cancelled.

However, Goh, on April 1, tweeted: “I was informally told that an emergency meeting was held, and had just ended. I also was informally told that Badminton Asia Championship(s) will proceed.”

Twentytwo13 sent an email to BA secretary-general Moosa Nasid on March 27, but has yet to receive a reply to date. BA president Anton Aditya Subowo was copied in the email, together with the BA’s general email address.

Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jia won the men’s singles title at last year’s edition.

China’s Wang Zhi Yi won the women’s singles title last year. Indonesian pair Pramudya Kusumawardana-Yeremia Erich Yoche Yacob Rambitan won the men’s doubles event, while Chen Qing Chen-Jia Yi Fan of China won the women’s doubles final.

Another Chinese pair – Zheng Si Wei and Huang Ya Qiong – also won the mixed doubles event.